Wednesday, February 02, 2011

"Project 33" - Match #81: Mistico, Volador, Sombra vs. Averno, Mephisto, Efesto

Mistico, VoladorJr. & la Sombra vs. Averno, Mephisto & Ephesto
7 March, 2009
Arena Mexico; Mexico City, Mexico



Part 2     Part 3

I actually expected a little bit more from this match than what we got, but in hindsight this was probably just a sneak preview of things to come. 

I am a huge fan of the trio of Averno, Mephesto and Ephesto.  I think they are excellent bases and work a complete rudo style, rather than somewhat walking the line of being a fan favorite even though they are rudos, like Ultimo Guerrero does.  Not that I think any single member of the trio is better than Ultimo. 

I think Averno gets his share of props because he has so many good matches with Mistico.  In many ways Averno & Mistico bring out the best in each other, and I do not think Averno looks nearly as good when paired up with other young tecnicos (such as Sombra and Volador).  In fact, this is where I think Mephisto gets overlooked.  Mephisto, to me, ranks about as high in everything as does Averno, but he never had a breakout opponent that led to acclaim in singles competition.  Ephesto is a cat that has been around for around twenty years now, and is pretty solid, but again, gets no credit.  I think Ephesto does a fantastic job of showcasing young tecnicos in his matches - which is what he is supposed to do. 

This match just seems to be missing something, but I cannot put my finger on what.  Maybe if there was more out and out brawling with mask rippings all around, then there would have been more heat to the match.  It seems like when Mistico hurt his leg on the initial stereo dive by the tecnico trio, the tecnico team fell apart. 

This would be a great time to point out that, maybe they needed a better formula for the match.  I do not know what the formula would be exactly, but maybe you isolate Mistico and work on the injured leg?  Maybe Mistico stays on the floor getting checked out by the ringside doctor, so the Triad works over either Sombra or Volador Memphis-style, or maybe even work them both over, showing that the three are wearing down the two. 

No comments:

Post a Comment