Sunday, January 30, 2011

"Project 33" - Match #76 - Anderson vs. Muta

Arn Anderson vs. Great Muta
2 January, 1990
Georgia Mountains Center Arena; Gainesville, GA
WCW Television Championship Match



Part 2

In 1989, Great Muta ended up in WCW as part of his foreign excursion from New Japan.  IN a situation where he was the right guy in the right place at the right time, he became a main event wrestler, and feuded with Sting and Ric Flair. 

Arn Anderson had been on a sabbatical in the WWF, and had returned shortly before this match.  I do not know if the two of them met in a match before this, but I know this was the first time they had a one-on-one match, and it is pretty damn rock solid. 

I am a big Arn Anderson fan.  When I was a kid, I loved the NWA wrestling way more than the WWF, and as a Horseman, Arn Anderson was one of my favorites.  I loved his interviews, his persona, his attitude, and most of all, his wrestling.  I was scared shitless of Arn Anderson.  I still am. 


In this match, we get the unusual role of Arn Anderson as a babyface, against the evil foreigner. 
Upon his return to WCW, Arn was basically billed as a babyface, which was so rare, because the Horsemen were always heels, even when they were booked as babyfaces. 

Anyways, this match was very solid.  We got to see some classic Anderson working of the arm, but we also got to see Muta on offense quite a bit, with Arn selling for him.  What I always liked about Arn was how he sold things.  He always sold things as if they hurt, but that he didn't want you to know he was hurt.  At times, especially when he tagged with Tully Blanchard, he would oversell, but when he was in singles he seemed to hit a perfect stride. 

The only problem I have with the match is how the interference was booked.  If Sawyer & Master interfered earlier, why would they not interfere again when Muta misses the moonsault?  This is totally a booking thing and not a way the match was worked by the wrestlers thing, but I think it would have been a little more logical if, for example, Sawyer hopped on the apron when Muta missed the moonsault and distracted the referee, and then Arn caught DragonMaster trying to sneak in the other side, clobbered him, and then DDT'd Muta for the pinfall.  They way it ended up, Sawyer and DragonMaster just kinda watched their buddy Muta lose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment