Sunday, December 19, 2010

"Project 33" - Match #41 - Hayes vs. Viedor

Alfred Hayes vs. Steve Viedor
11 August, 1975



Part 2

This is my first experience with "World of Sport", which was a British promotion that was pretty popular in the 1970's.  It was recomended by Pete over at the Death Valley Driver

I am familiar with the British "Rounds" system, but I never really saw anything before that tickled my fancy.  Usually it was just a lot of stalling, and then when the action started, the round was over.  Kinda like early Pride shows.  It is obvious here though that the round system is used differently, in a kind of cross between boxing and MMA. 

From what I can tell, you cannot go after a downed opponent, unless it is on a clean takedown.  In other words, if you bump a guy you cannot stomp on him or anything, but if you take him down with a snapmare, he is fair game.  That is different than I was expecting.  Especially when apparently you can take a guy down, and then rake your boots across his face, but apparently you cant hit him with an uppercut and then give him a leg drop. 

This was actually the first time I ever saw Alfred Hayes in the ring.  I always hated him as a kid as a commentator and presenter on WWF programming.  I hate him even more now as an adult in that role.  As a wrestler, he certainly knew how to draw heat from the British crowd.  It isn't every day that you see an old lady push a wrestler around at ringside, but you did here.  Well, I guess you see it in Memphis too. 

I didn't really see enough here to let me know if I like this style or not.  I liek how there was more actual mat wrestling, but this stuff seems more like a precursor to UWF type or worked-shoot wrestling than it does anything else.  I will give it another try soon before I make a decision. 

No comments:

Post a Comment