Sunday, November 28, 2010

"Project 33" - Match #20 - Los Traumas vs. Ultimo Guerrero & Rey Buccanero

Los Traumas vs. Ultimo Guerrero & Rey Buccanero
27 February, 2010
Sala de Armas, Mexico City, Mexico
Yamaha Cup - Semi-Finals



Part 2

This match is an excellent show case of Ultimo Guerrero.  Ultimo is one of my lucha favorites, and I would argue that pound-for-pound he is one of the best in the world.  He can surely be formulamatic at times, but when he is called upon for a big match or he feels like working his ass off, he is spectacular.  In addition, Guerrero & Rey Buccanero were one of the best tag teams in the past decade, and almost without question the best in Mexico.  They have some awesome combo moves, and work very well and fluid as a team.  Ultimo is the high impact and mat technician, Buccanero brings the speed and the aerial moves (even though he is a bigger guy by lucha standards). 

Now, one of my current favorite duos is IWRG's Traumas.  Both men are sons of Negro Navarro, and are monsters on the mat.  The consensus is generally that Trauma 1 is the better wrestler, but I tend to think Trauma 2 is myself.  I really enjoy their work in IWRG, and I remember the first time that I saw this match online, I was giddy, I thought we were going to see an awesome tag team match. 

We didn't.  What we got was Ultimo Guerrero with his working boots on, taking it to Trauma 1.  Make no mistake, Buccanero and Trauma 2 were in the match, but, as I said earlier, this match was a showcase for Guerrero.

Guerrero went old school on the mat with Trauma 1, and busted out awesome mat moves and submissions.  Then there was an exchange where he and Buccanero hit all of their patented double team moves on Trauma 2.  Then, Guerrero hit all of his big throws on Trauma 1, before picking up the win with a top rope front suplex.  The only thing missing was the Guerrero Especial. 

For a ten minute match, I enjoyed the hell outta this.  As a tag team match, it left a little to be desired.  But if you are looking for a good Ultimo Guerrero match, this one was pretty snazzy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment